Over 100 Coastal Artillery Batteries were established along the South Coast at the beginning of the Second World War. Unfortunately, after their active service most were demolished, in many cases just a few fragments of concrete remain marking their locations today. Some however, have survived, and remain complete with their observation post, gun positions, magazines, search light emplacements and other associated buildings. Brownstone Battery in Devon is one such example. Located at Froward Point, on the cliffs between Kingswear and Brixham, the battery was built in 1940 and armed with two 9.2" guns. An interesting feature of this battery, worth noting, is the remaining rail which brought the shells from the magazine to No.2 gun. Today, the battery site is located in a public open space, the BOP being used as a Coastguard lookout, and interpretation boards have been installed with information about the site's use.
Plan of Brownstone Battery