Fort Pitt was constructed on a hill overlooking Chatham between 1805 and 1819. It was a polygonal shape with five large bastions, and had 9 canons, 4 caronades and 3 motars mounted as armament. It didn't last long as a fort, and became a military hospital in 1828, party adapted as an asylum for mentally ill soldiers, and in 1860 became an army medical school. In the first half of the 20th Century, parts of the fort were demolished, the ditch filled and remaining buildings adapted for use as a school. Fort Pitt Grammar School has occupied the site since the 1930s, and during WW2 some of the underground tunnels were used as air raid shelters. The University of Creative Arts, built in 1968, now covers much of the site, but some remains of the fort can be seen. The tunnels remained sealed for many years, until 2011 when a joint project between Kent Underground Research Group and Fort Amherst took place to locate and open them up.
The tunnels were opened for this KURG visit, and have now been resealed.
Plan of Fort Pitt
Just inside the entrance
Brick partitions inside the tunnel
Inside the Main Magazine
Doorway between two rooms
Looking back to entrance