These tunnels were constructed in 1941 by 171 and later 172 Tunnelling Companies of the Royal Engineers. They were designed as a regional headquarters associated with a requisitioned house on the outskirts of Canterbury. Other similar tunnel systems exist in Reigate, Tunbridge Wells and Sarre, but it is unknown if they became operational. They were however, completed and appear to have been fitted out ready for use, as remains of electrical cables can still be seen. The tunnels take the form of two parallel galleries, linked by four interconnecting spurs. Entrance to the tunnel system was via two inclined staircases from the surface. Unfortunately, the main portion of the complex has collapsed, leaving only the two staircases, one of which is now blocked by debris. The tunnels remained sealed for many years, and were partly excavated by KURG in 2007, however digging was abandoned due to the collapses.
These tunnels are on private land, many thanks to the owners for allowing access.
Plan of Canterbury Battle HQ
Looking down the staircase
Blocked Eastern entrance