Fort Fareham is one of a number of forts built in Gosport after recommendation by the Royal Commission of 1859. It was completed in 1864 and takes the form of an irregular polygon surrounded by a ditch. The ditch was defended with caponniers and guns were mounted in Haxo Casemates on the ramparts. The centre of the fort formed a parade ground, which was surrounded by casemated barrack rooms. In recent years the fort has been converted into a business centre; the ramparts, ditch and caponniers remaining abandoned.
This fort can be visited, but the casemates are privately owned.
Plan, courtesy of the Palmerston Forts Society
View of the overgrown caponnier
Casemated gun rooms
View of two of the dilapidated casemates
In the centre of the parade ground
More casemates converted into office units
Stairs up to the ramparts
View underneath the steps
Observation post on the roof of the casemates