This battery is one of a number of Heavy Anti-Aircraft (HAA) batteries, built at the outbreak of the Second World War. The design was very similar, with concrete shell lockers around a central gun pit, and other related semi-sunken bunkers. Most batteries of this type have been demolished, but good remaining examples can be found in Dover, Portland and at Maker Heights near Plymouth. This battery is located on farm land, near East Tilbury. It was built in 1939 and originally mounted with four 3.7-inch guns then later upgraded to four 4.5-inch guns. Although complete, the site is now very overgrown and some of the bunkers are used as horse stables.
This is on private land, thanks to the owners for allowing access.
One of the gun pits
Entrance to the magazines
Another gun pit