These Coastal Artillery Searchlights were built in WW2 to allow the illumination and identification of ships coming into an area of sea directly below the important cross-channel gun batteries. They are cut into the cliff face in Langdon Bay and are accessed by a passage hewn into the chalk. There were originally three emplacements, but the Western most one has been destroyed by a cliff fall. Unfortunately, the metal shutters in front of the surviving emplacements are rapidly deteriorating.
These emplacements can be visited by descending the zig-zag path down to the bay from Langdon Hole above, and at low tide the wreck of a 1902 ship, the 'Prussen', can be seen.
View from the cliff path