This bunker is situated in Woodlands park in Gravesend on the site of a WW2 air raid shelter. It was built in 1954 as a command centre for local emergency services, to be utilised in the event of a nuclear attack. Although the necessity for its use thankfully never came about, it was fitted out and made ready to become operational. The interior of the bunker has now been authentically restored by a group of volunteers, and houses an interesting collection of items, including a mock ROC post.
This bunker is opened to the public on special open days.
Entrance to the bunker
Inside one of the rooms
Ventilation plant room
One of the dorm rooms
Elson chemical toilet, the only form of toilet in the bunker
Telephone comms room