Sunday, May 02, 2010

Nothe Fort, Weymouth

Nothe Fort is typical of the Royal Commission coastal defence forts, constructed in around 1860. It takes the form of a crescent of granite faced casemates, each originally housing Rifled Muzzle Loading guns with a caponnier protecting the rear. Beneath the casemates, an underground passage runs the whole length of the fort, providing access to the magazines. The RMLs were later replaced by Quick-Firing guns, and the fort was re-used in WW2 when an Anti Aircraft battery was established nearby. It was disarmed after the war and became a tourist attraction in the 1980s.

The fort remains in excellent condition and is open to the public all year round.

Plan, courtesy of the Palmerston Forts Society

Exterior of the fort, showing caponnier

Double gateway entrance to fort

View from the tereplein, showing the shape of the fort

Casemates from the central parade ground

Gun inside No.11 casemate

View across the parade ground from a casemate

Covered area of the casemates

Steps down to underground passages

Passage linking the magazines

One of the many shell hoists

This area used as a cold war bunker (note door)

Inside the caponnier

Shell lift

Gun position on the tereplein

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home