Photographs and information about tunnels, caves, bunkers, defences, mines and other historic sites in the South of the UK and other areas. Don't forget to click the ads to keep the site going! On mobile devices, please click "View Web Version" at the bottom to see all locations!
Please remember to click the adverts and keep this site going!
Saturday, May 13, 2006
Hougham Battery, Dover
The three-gun Hougham Battery, to the West of Dover, was constructed in 1941. It was mounted with 8" Naval guns in large concrete emplacements, with magazines beneath. The Battery site was located on the cliffs above what is now Samphire Hoe, with observation posts on the cliff edge, and the three gun positions on raised ground directly behind. Sadly, due to the building of the A20 road, which dissected the battery, all of the surface buildings (excluding the OPs), were demolished. However, some parts remain underground (although entrances have been buried), including a combined Fortress and Battery Plotting Room; the magazines for the three guns and a Dressing Station. Some buried Nissen huts and water tanks also remain in the fields on the boundary of the Battery. The OPs are next to the cliff top path and still command a good view over the Channel.
This site is on open land and the OPs can be seen on the cliff-top coastal path.