Hurst Castle is located on a 1.5 mile shingle spit jutting out from Keyhaven into the Solent, less than a mile from the shoreline of the Isle of Wight. The fortification originally began as a Tudor round tower, but two large casemated wing batteries were added after the Royal Commission of defences in 1859. Positions for over 60 RML and QF guns were created in the old tower and granite faced wing batteries. Anti-aircraft guns were also mounted on the roof of the battery during WW2.
Hurst Castle is now open to the public and can be reached by walking the shingle spit from New Milton or by ferry from Keyhaven. It is an impressive fortification, and well worth the visit!
Plan, courtesy of the Palmerston Forts Society
The granite faced casemates
Looking from the West Battery across to the East
Casemates of the West Battery
Inside one of the casemates
Inside another casemate
The 21 Pounder
One of the original RML guns in its position
Looking from the West Battery to the Tower
The lower level of the Tower
Fort Albert on the Isle of Wight, from Hurst
The South Bastion
The East Wing Battery
Inside one of the East Wing Casemates