Shivering Sands Army Forts are a set of Maunsell Sea Forts similar to Red Sands. They were built on land in taken out to sea to be constructed in 1943. Anti-Aircraft guns were originally mounted on the top and accomodation rooms located below. As with the Red Sands Forts, they were decomissioned in the 1950s, but saw new life during the 1960s as the base of pirate radio stations. Unfortunately, the searchlight tower has already been removed, its place now marked by a buoy, and the future of the other towers in uncertain.
Boat tours are available to the forts via Bayblast or the X-Pilot boat, unfortunately no ladders remain, so boarding the forts is no longer possible.
View of all the towers
Looking at the bases of the towers
The start of the gangway between the towers can be seen here
Close-up of the centre tower
Another zoomed-in view
Some of the other towers
A final view of the towers