Please remember to click the adverts and keep this site going!
Sunday, May 21, 2006
Langdon Searchlight Battery
These Coastal Artillery Searchlights were built in WW2 to allow the illumination and identification of ships coming into an area of sea directly below the important cross-channel gun batteries. They are cut into the cliff face in Langdon Bay and are accessed by a passage hewn into the chalk. There were originally three emplacements, but the Western most one has been destroyed by a cliff fall. Unfortunately, the metal shutters in front of the surviving emplacements are rapidly deteriorating.
These emplacements can be visited by descending the zig-zag path down to the bay from Langdon Hole above, and at low tide the wreck of a 1902 ship, the 'Prussen', can be seen.
View from the cliff path
Posted by Colin G at 3:10 pm