This gun battery was constructed in 1890, near Coalhouse Fort, in the village of East Tilbury. It was originally armed with two 10-inch and four 6-inch disappearing guns. Although guns have long since been removed, the emplacements and magazines beneath are still extant as are some casemated barrack rooms and other buildings. The present condition of the battery is very good, with many original stenciled signs still remaining in the underground parts although the whole site is profusely overgrown, making locating the various features very difficult.
This site is on private land, many thanks to the owners for permission to visit this and their AA Battery at Bowaters Farm.
Plan, courtesy of the Palmerston Forts Society
One of the four 6-inch gun pits
One of the two sets of three casemated barrack rooms
Position for one of the two 10-inch guns